Tuesday 10 April 2012

Poems Worth Remembering


Music when Soft Voices Die (To --)

BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY
   Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory—
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.

   Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heaped for the belovèd's bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.

I have always been a fan of Shelley. He is probably one of my favourite Romantic poets. I knew I was hooked when I read Ozymandias in which I can still remember three years later, "I met a traveller from an antique land..." So when discovering different Shelly poems, like Ode to the West Wind I came across this. Now I want you to stop reading my post and read the poem out loud to yourself. It is oh so wonderful. Now for the analysis.... not really my favourite part....

For poetry, the Romantic Era was all about the individual and their own emotions. It might not seem like it at first by there is an underlying life-affirming tone; music, something to have even after life. Shelley also mentions aspects of nature such as "violets"  and "roses" which further reflect the themes of the Romantic Era. There is also a lyrical tone that is made evident by the rhyming couplets at the end of each stanza.

Shelly will forever be one of my favourite poets.


No comments:

Post a Comment