Wednesday 15 February 2012

A comparison of death: Whitney Houston ~ August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012

Over the past few years we have lost many great stars, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and most recently Whitney Houston. It seems almost surreal when a big star dies. Like the world has forgotten about them until they die. Michael Jackson’s albums "Number Ones",  "The Essential Michael Jackson" and "Thriller" were top sellers in the United States the week following his death (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/arts/music/02sales.html). In Western societies death is almost glamorized especially when it comes to celebrities. I hope for the sake of our society that the reason celebrities are glamorized after death is because we are taking the time to remember their lives. Sadly, I don't really think this is true.

This weekend I was sitting in a restaurant with my friends for a birthday party. All of a sudden, from down the table I hear someone tell me that Whitney Houston had just died. Within seconds the news had spread all over Twitter and Facebook. I didn't really know what to think. The way I view death, it is a very personal thing, something to only briefly be talked about and then sadly forgotten. I don't think I would want my death broadcasted all over social networking sites for the whole world to have an opinion on.

I think that the Eastern societies have a good way of viewing death. I believe the difference is the way we grieve. Compared to Western societies, the view of death in a Buddhist culture is very respectful. I think that's the difference. With the information of someone's death spread all over the internet, there is a good chance at least one person is going to be disrespectful.  

The way I will remember Whitney Houston is sitting in my kitchen listening to my favourite song of hers play over and over again.

I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment