Wednesday 8 February 2012

Some Very Interesting, Unusual Characters

 One thing that I have learned from being in this IB english program is that you come by a lot of interesting characters, all of which relate to one another. Reading Doestovesky's Crime and Punishment and Mishima's The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea I have discovered a correlation between Raskolinov and Ryuji. I find it fascinating that they are both very sheltered characters, Raskolnikov ostracised from society and Ryuji a lonely sailor. Yet they both strive for something beyond the realm of there own societies. Ryuji thinks, "There must be a special destiny in store for me; a glittering, special-order kind no ordinary man would be permitted," which I can relate to Raskolnikov because he himself believes that his state of mind is that of an extraordinary man. I think that everyone at one point in there life would like to believe that they are of a "higher standard" or are capable of something extraordinary. I believe that these characters are an exaggerated version of this and therefore even though we are shocked by their actions we can also sympathize with them. Sitting here writing this I am shocked with myself thinking I could even remotely relate to these characters.    



No comments:

Post a Comment